Monday, April 6, 2009

Culture and craft

Had a very busy busy weekend with my friend Chris down from Brisbane. Lots of girly discussions about her pending wedding and whether the older bride should carry a bouquet. I think yes because it's nice to have something to hold on to and flowers 'ground' you. Saturday night saw 'Florence', a performance by a woman from New Foundland (Shipping News territory), part of Ten Days on the Island. Interesting but not as good as some things I have seen in the Peacock Theatre. Yesterday went to 'Ruined Pianos' at the Museum - enjoyed listening to the tinkly, jangly, missing notes, strange sounds and stories of the pianos. Very evocative of different times and places. Also went to the Art & Design market in the Masonic Temple. I am really liking that there are lots of opportunities for makers in Hobart to sell their stuff now. Saw some lovely origami flowers and lots of nice purses made using clear vinyl over fabric. I've got vinyl at home ready for my first sewing attempts with it. Apparently success depends on using the right machine needle? I managed to get my bit of craft in also this weekend by making a baby rattle on Friday night. It has a little bell in the face. On the flip side is an embroidered heart. Made two, one didn't work so well - so scrapped this one. It's for Tracey at work whose much anticipated baby is due soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment