Monday, September 7, 2009

Market merriment and strawberry jam

I really enjoyed the Hobart market yesterday. It's such a great market - lots of friendly people, all sorts of lovely and inspiring handmade products, nice music, and general good vibes. Thank you to everyone who stopped by the millymaker stall and a special thanks to Julia and her Mum - my best bag customers!

Thanks too to the very creative Noella, Shauna, Sue and Jodie for adding to the
millymaker mix, to my darling husband for helping me set up and running errands during the day, to my brother Bruce for making the wooden display stand for my bags and to Noah for adding busking talent to the market.

I am excited already about my next market and just hope I get a spot in one of the upcoming
pre-Christmas events. Watch this space...

And now on to important jammy matters - In the endless pursuit of finding friendly foods for my dodgy digestive system I have been making a rather nice, almost cakey pumpernickel bread using almond meal and having this with a very delicious strawberry jelly/jam. The jelly tastes so wondrous it's hard to believe it is sugar free. Here's the recipe:

Strawberry jelly/jam
Makes about 2 cups


375 g (2 and a half cups) fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
(I used two punnets)
250 ml (1 cup) water

2 tbs fresh lemon juice

150 g (1/2 cup) honey

1 tbs gelatin (I used one sachet)

100 ml warm water


Place the strawberries, water, lemon juice and honey in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and strain through a sieve, gently squeezing out as much juice as possible. Dissolve the gelatin in 100 ml of water and stir into hot juice. Pour into glass jar/s, tighten lid and refrigerate overnight to set.


This is so yummy - it's hard to resist eating it by the spoonful rather than just spreading it on your toast!

No comments:

Post a Comment