Friday, June 10, 2011

Fond memories and choc-mint brownie slice

We are just back from Sydney from a big family get-together for the scattering of my father and brother's ashes, which we did at dusk on Tom's birthday at Paradise Beach. 

I think Dad and Tom would have very much approved of the occasion. We lit candles on the rocks and launched seed-pod 'boats' into Pittwater. I attempted to read a Gaelic blessing by candle-light while competing with the bizarre ring-tone of Blake's mobile - which was all a bit amusing. Afterwards we drank wine on the beach.  The rain held off until we got back to Shauna's.

It was a very reflective but memorable time.  During our four days in Avalon we even managed to visit the old family home in Ruskin Rowe (thanks to the very friendly new owner who spotted us taking photos outside and invited us in).  We also visited the grave of my grandfather and uncle at Mona Vale cemetery and added a sprinkling of more family ashes to the gravesite.  

I tend to remember occasions by something I ate.  (Ha - yes for me my emotions are all tied in with my stomach.) The whole four days in Sydney was pretty special; the culinary highlight of which was definitely Shauna's slice, made to take to Pru's. I will probably forever more associate this yummy slice with this time.

Shauna's Choc-Mint Brownie Slice

185 g butter melted
1 1/2 cups castor sugar
3 eggs
100 g plain flour
1/2 cup cocoa
50 gm After Dinner Mints (roughly chopped)
  • Grease and line a slice tin with baking paper.
  • Whisk together butter and sugar and then add eggs, one at a time, whisking some more.
  • Stir in flour and cocoa.
  • Spread into tin.  Push After Dinner Mint bits into the slice mix (make sure all are covered an none touch the side of the slice tin).
  • Bake in a moderate oven for 30 - 40 minutes.
  • Sprinkle with icing sugar to serve.
I am looking forward to making this slice soon.  Here's to you Dad and Tom!

No comments:

Post a Comment