Friday, July 3, 2009

While in NZ feed the gal red meat...

Gosh for someone who hardly ever eats red meat I am now on a steady diet of it. But how can one resist South Otago homegrown lamb, venison and beef - and Liz's superb cooking? Meat so tender there's hardly a chew involved. Last night's fare was a superb lamb roast (I was honoured to be given a shank) plus so many plates of vegies I never thought we'd get through them all - but of course we did. All followed by a great mound of hokey pokey icecream drowned in Baileys. The others all then had great slices of banana cake with choc icing while I felt virtuous. Next week this girl has got to diet!

The photo here is of the remnants of a hoar frost on the road from Hawea towards Tarras.

Apart from the food I have a new appreciation of NZ wines. Loving the pinot noirs and chardonnays. On Wednesday Alan and I went to the Big Picture Wine Experience outside of Alexandra and enjoyed the aroma room experience and wine tastings while watching a big screen movie of the Central Otago vineyards. Of course had to buy some wine.

But now back to practical boring health matters, here's Liz's gluten free no-fail flour mix:

Flour mix (Makes 1.28 kg (I cup mixture weighs 160gm)

1 cup maize flour
2 cups rice flour
2 cups soy flour
3 cups potato flour

Mix together and store in airtight container. Another tip from Liz - use Arrowroot as a thickener instead of cornflour or flour.

We are off for a walk into Tapanui town now to get our steps up (Global Walkie Talkies I haven't been letting you down) and to build up the appetite for the next onslaught of food. A is talking about making cheese scones on our return to try and recreate the ones he had yesterday en route home from Wanaka. Yes it is all about the food.

I am rugged up nice and warm for our outing, wearing my new possum and merino jacket under coat with gloves, head gear etc. Snow on all the mountains around us. Hi ho, hi ho off we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment